Hematology: How Can I Improve My Blood Count?
If your blood count is low, itb s a sign that your bone marrowB is not producing adequate amounts of one type of blood cells. Physicians refer to low blood count asB cytopenia.
Low blood counts can have many causes, including vitamin deficiencies, bleeding, cancer, cancer treatment and rareB bone marrow failure diseases likeB aplastic anemia.
How can you improve your blood count?
If youb re feeling weak or fatigued, you may be experiencing symptoms ofB anemia. Anemia occurs when your red blood cell (RBC) count is low. If your RBC count is low, your body must work harder to deliver oxygen throughout your body.
There are five nutrients you can consume that may improve your red blood cell count:
- Iron b Foods rich in iron include red meat, beans, legumes, egg yolks, prunes and raisins.
- Folic acid b Consuming enriched cereals and breads, spinach, kale, lentils, peas and nuts can help increase your folic acid levels.
- Vitamin B-12 b Foods high in vitamin B-12 include beef, fish, milk, cheese and eggs.
- Copper b To add copper in your diet, seek out poultry, shellfish, liver, beans, cherries and nuts.
- Vitamin A b Great sources for vitamin A include sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, red peppers, watermelon, grapefruit and cantaloupe.
While low white blood cell counts (leukopenia) can occur during chemotherapy, these counts will most often return to normal before the following round of chemotherapy, or after chemo treatments are complete.
Advanced, personalized cancer care in New Jersey is nearby
Should you or a loved one find yourself facing a blood cancer diagnosis, know that one of the nationb s largest cancer physician networks is within reach. At Astera Cancer Care, we take a uniquely personal, community-based approach to providing hematology care in Central Jersey. Through more than 30 local offices throughout New Jersey, Maryland and Connecticut, we make your care accessible and give you the ability to see the same doctor. And every detail of your treatment is centered around your unique preferences, lifestyle and optimal health.
Call 732-390-7750 to schedule an appointment, or click here to find a location near you.